Job Title: Sr. R & D Engineer
Company Name: Apadana LLC
Job Location: Golden Valley, MN
Specific duties include:
• Design, prototype and coordinate the commercialization of PV solar systems for residential and commercial-scale implementations between 5kW and 10+MW in capacity.
• Design & Engineer utility-scale projects, including community solar garden projects.
• Oversee full-scale engineering for Solar PV projects.
• Utilize experience in vetting emerging associated technologies, such as smart battery storage systems, to integrate strategic technologies within our system offering to improve operational efficiency and shaving/shifting the peak power demand.
• Design & Engineer the residential, commercial and industrial scale projects for grid-connected PV solar + battery storage systems.
• Conduct site feasibility studies and assist with site surveying for PV layouts, building measurements and solar trajectory, shading, and output calculations.
• Develop site-specific PV performance models and production analysis of PV arrays using PVSYST.
• Create high precision 3D and 2D virtual site/system models from source materials including aerial photography using software such as Autodesk Recap photo, AutoCAD, Revit and Civil 3D.
• Research, design and evaluate mechanical systems and processes to advance the function and performance of the systems in the areas of quality and affordability.
• Monitor advances in solar technologies and select/incorporate advanced technologies into the Company’s solar system design.
• Work directly with Operations, Marketing, Purchasing, Production, Sales and Executive Management to deliver market-leading solar PV systems.
• Manage key technical resources, including four internal employees and external consultants. Supervised internal professionals include Solar System Designers. Supervise external professionals include Engineers working for third-party support engineering firms and subcontractors.
• Leadership and training for new and junior engineering personnel.
• Investigate and procure all data required to develop the design; troubleshoot system failures and issues on all projects, develop practical and effective solutions.
• Perform optimization and execute parallel simulations to reduce simulation computation run-time of customer projects.
• Develop all required construction and system implementation documentation.
• Complete utility interconnection applications and secure relevant building permits.
• Review shop drawings respond to request for information (RFIs) and assist with general construction support services.
• Design customer system operating manuals and operational training manuals.
• Develop and submit Technical Proposals for prospect solar PV projects.
• Travel throughout the Midwest for pre-proposal / planning / post-implementation site visits (5-10%).
Master’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering plus five years of experience in a related position. In the alternative, will accept a PhD Degree in Mechanical Engineering with 12 months of experience in a related position.
Must also have at least 12 months of hands-on experience with the following:
• Identifying, analyzing, and qualifying electro-mechanical systems, software and components
associated with energy conservation and sustainability.
• Residential, commercial and utility-scale PV system design.
• At least one programming language, such as Matlab or C++.
• PV performance modeling software such as PVsyst.
• Traditional MEP building design and the ability of improving a design quality and efficiency using BIM.
• Building 3D CAD models using Autodesk Recap Photo.
• Using AutoCAD to develop utility scale PV solar system design and permitting packages.
• Using ANSYS/FLUENT or similar software for performing wind/snow load analysis.
• Using Aurora Solar design software.
• Using Solar Design Tool software for permitting of residential and commercial building solar systems.
• Using Homer Energy/Energy Toolbase or similar software for grid connected PV + battery storage solar system designs.
• Using GANTT project management software.
• Developing and maintaining outside engineering relationships with other companies as well as ability to communicate among construction and technical personnel internally.
Does this sound like you? If so and you are committed to excellence and teamwork, then we would like to talk. Please send your resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org and in the subject line put Job Application. Thank you for your interest in Apadana.